Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lions, Bridges and Tunnels

When I was a child I had a recurring dream, I would walk out of my backyard and down a
steep hill to the riverbank. Once there I would see cobblestone walkways, bridges and statues of giant stone lions. The dream always started just before the sun would set and I knew that as soon as the sun would set the lion statues would come to life and gobble up anyone by the riverside up. I would always head home just a bit too late and end up running and fighting for my life through a long tunnel for the remainder of the dream.

Budapest is filled with lion statues. Everywhere I turn, giant lions in bronze and stone. At both ends of the chain bridge, (the bridge that connects Pest to the Buda side and the royal palace) giant lion statues that resemble the exact ones from my dream guard the path. On the Buda side, under the royal palace, is a long tunnel. The first time I encountered them was right before sunset. I paused long enough to remember the dream/nightmare and quite bravely (only looking back once or twice) kept walking.

No comments: