Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The two cities and the magic of three little words… “if you like”


Today (7/17) was a day of walking… and walking… and walking. I had to deal with a bit of a learning curve when adapting to layout of the city and finding everything. In the morning O and I met with Beata (the artist/teacher who runs the residency and the HMC) and she gave us the low-down on what to see and where to go.

Budapest is a city in two parts – the “Buda” side to the west, characterized by more residential areas and green rolling hillsides and the “Pest” side to the east, a bustling city center filled with historic buildings and commerce. The two sides of the city are separated by the Danube and then again re-connected by a series of bridges. Our residency is on the Pest side, very close to the city center. Our Hotel/Apartment is surrounded by internet cafés, supermarkets, shops, museums, and restaurants. Today, I crossed the divide between the two cities via the Erzsebet hid, a wide, white bridge that shook with the velocity of the crossing cars. Because acclimating after a long journey (see “31 hrs” rant) takes a bit of patience, I found myself standing on the Buda side not knowing what to take pictures of, yet wanting to take pictures of both the mundane and the sublime and everything in between.

I had wanted to work on a series of portraits with the Yashica, but wondered how I would bring myself to approach random strangers and ask “Could I take your picture?” (ok, I realize it is strange for me to make this “shy” comment, but refer back to the “31 hour “ entry and the part about not being acclimated) – so I just did it and asked someone “Could I take your picture?” and astonishingly, he said “if you like.” Thus began my amazement with the people and the place, with a simple phrase “if you like.” I spent the rest of the afternoon asking everyone who struck me in some way, either by making eye contact with me for just a bit too long, or someone who was totally unprepared in the midst of their labor so I could capture them without pretense.

To be allowed to take a portrait is altogether precious, there is a sense of vulnerability that is being offered to the camera, and to the photographer. To be allowed so willingly to take portraits of strangers on the streets where I am a stranger, both to the individual and to their country is even more special. For this I am very grateful for this day and the three magic words. The camera allowed me a dialogue into the culture and for a moment into the lives of people I would never ordinarily encounter. Some people inquired further asking where I was from and why I wanted to take their (them in particular) picture. One shopkeeper eating a peach offered me some fruit and a French tourist named Adrian asked if I could email him a copy of the photograph. For today at least, men were much easier to approach, especially men who were not used to being photographed; construction crews, security guards, people talking on their cell phones. The women were a bit more reserved (and perhaps self-aware), but again I found the women who were most a part of the city, rather than being “in” the city were more apt to acquiesce.

1 comment:

Daniel Carlo said...

I'm amazed at the seemingly universal reactions to "person to camera" that seem to be consistent all over the world. Whether it be in the amazonal basin, or a bustling European town, the reactions of the photographed, and the excitement of the photographer must be wonderful in all aspects of the word. I am so happy for you! Keep us posted, and more details!!