Sunday, June 22, 2008

Random Images and Getting Lost

I'm including some random pictures for you to enjoy…dog with pacifier, underwater kiss (taken from a basement disco that is beneath a shallow pool of water), Howard, Jenna et moi (boarding a streetcar), Andreas, Jenna, Benjamin, Gregory, et (night out for dinner and a walk), and the image of the beetle that visited my face.

It has been exceedingly hot and sticky weather and we are all busy thinking about our work (and sweating). Last night was a city wide party wherein all the galleries and museums were open and had programs including music, performance, video/sound art and food/drink. The contemporary art museum was particularly lovely as was the view from atop the palace. I've been "getting lost" and shooting with the Yashica and the compact digital along with a new/old Soviet-Russian plastic camera called the Chajka ($6 with leather case).

The idea of "getting lost" is an interesting one. To be able to walk in no particular direction, only a direction that you have never gone. How easy it is to get caught in a routine, to go down the same road every day, to be trapped in auto-pilot. Getting lost allows for the briefest instant of being present and aware of everything around you, searching for some marker, some visual cue that will make a good image. When I initially set out for this sort of adventure I find myself disoriented and a bit uncomfortable. It takes a few moments to remember the intent and need to force myself to open up to interaction with total strangers again. Once I am thick in the picture making, the experience is much like "coming home." Tonight I wandered to the train station and met a man from India, a young Hungarian punk girl, a college student, and a Romanian gypsy. With these interactions I was, for all intents and purposes, found again. (Although that last bit sounds like I'm going to break into "Amazing Grace" - no worries, I won't).













1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Niku! I hope you are feeling better today! The European sun can be unforgiving at times, even for an LA resident :)
I am happy to read that you noticed so many of the things which I miss about Europe! In Geneva, we would have summer storms EVERY time it would be hot and I remember my friends and I dancing in the rain as children with our bathing suits on. After moving to LA for years my body would still be expecting a refreshing storm after a hot day which of course never came. Although the physical craving disappeared with the years, my heart never lost hope and still waits for it until today...
Walking through the city is another thing I miss terribly! Coffee shops, terraces, restaurants, little stores, boutiques, friends, people... I'm glad to see that you found that aspect enjoyable. This lack of pedestrian city life is one of the most difficult thing to adjust to for Europeans who settle in LA.
Finally, the picture of this beetle (scarabe in French) brought wonderful summer memories of my father as he would catch them, shake them in his hands to knock them down and place it in my hand so that I could observe it before it would get back to its senses and fly away...
Thank you for your blog Niku, it helps me remember Europe and what I love (and miss) about it :)